Finland is a paradise for nature lovers with 88,000 lakes, and forests that cover almost 70% of the country, where heaven meets the sea.
“Helsinki is simply so unbelievably lovable right now. It feels liberated, happy, inspired, creative and bold,” shares Elisabeth Heinrichs of Visit Helsinki.
We were excited to visit Helsinki while on our cruise through the Baltic and Scandinavian countries, but weather didn’t permit us to make it to this port.
In preparation for the trip, we did some research on what to see and do in Finland’s capitol city. Even though we didn’t get there on this trip, here are some recommendations provided by the Helsinki Tourism Office and our excursion consultants on Seabourn.
Looking forward to exploring Helsinki and other areas of Finland on a future trip to Scandinavia.
What to Do & See While Exploring Helsinki
- Finnaair Skywheel – new!
- Russian Orthodox Uspenski Cathedral – impressive
- Helsinki Cathedral – symbol of the city
- The Presidential Palace
- Local Market Square – shop for crafts, and taste some cloudberries, lingonberries in the food section.
- Old Market Hall – renewed & covered
Töölönlahti Bay (green heart of Helsinki)
- Opera House – elegant & modern
- 19th century wooden houses
- Olympic Stadium from 1952 Olympics
- Music Center
- Temppeliaukio Church – very unique and built into solid rock, topped with a copper dome. An icon of Helsinki.
- Sibelius Monument – striking monument to Finland’s beloved composer, Jean Sibelius.
Design District – a MUST! Helsinki was selected as World Design Capital in 2012 and one of UNESO’s Cities of Design.
Kaivopuisto Park located along the seashore with views of the Suomenlinna Sea Fortress. You can bike along the scenic waterfront to Sibelius Park, and continue to Töölö Bay, then onto the Eastern Harbor to view Katajanokka Island, with the gold-domed Uspenski Cathedral.
Suomenlinna Sea Fortress Island (only 15 minutes outside the city center by ferry)
Have More Time to Explore?
- Visit the Archipelago – heard it’s beautiful! Our cruise concierge recommended a nature walk through the Finnish countryside and a visit to the 15th century Hommanäs Manor & Estate, located on the serene and beautiful seaside, where they welcome you into their manor to enjoy homemade berry juices and jams. Or kayak through the islands.
- Bike to Sikosaari National Park
- Walk through the cobblestone streets in Old Porvoo, second oldest town in Finland, dating back to 1346. Charming old town with wooden buildings.
- Take a boat excursion to Aggskar Island.
- Ice Bar & Igloo Hotel – visit the largest ice bars in the world, where you will be given warm clothing to wearn, then enter a winter wonderland of ice. You can take a husky sled ride, and have a drink out of ice glasses!
Global Adventures would like to thank both the Helsinki Tourism Office and Excursions Consultants on Seabourn for the helpful information to plan a visit to Helsinki.
Photo Credit: Jussi Hellsten (copyright) compliments of Visit Helsinki
Helsinki Tourism Office – visit this website to help plan your visit to Helsinki.
Seabourn Cruises – interested in cruising to Helsinki? Book a reservation with Seabourn luxury cruise line for the ultimate cruise experience.