Serving: 8 people
- 2 Lb Boneless Chicken Breast/Leg (Cubed)
- ½ Cup Greek Plain Yogurt
- 3 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 2 Cloves Fresh Garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Cumin Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil or Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 Large White Onion (fine sliced or chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Ginger (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves Fresh Garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons Coriander Powder
- 2 teaspoons Cumin Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika Powder
- 1 teaspoon Green Cardamom Powder
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg Powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 3 Bay Leafs
- 5 pieces of Whole Cloves
- 3 pieces of Green Cardamom
- ½ kg fresh Tomatoes (chopped or puree)
- ¼ cup fresh Cilantro (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala (blend of spices)
- 100 Ml Heavy Whipping Cream
- Salt to taste
Step 1: Chicken needs to marinate overnight. In a bowl, mix yogurt, chopped ginger, garlic, lemon juice, ½ tsp. turmeric powder, 1 tsp. cumin powder, oil. Pour this mixture over chicken, rub well and place in the fridge for a minimum of 6 hours.
Step 2: Make the Sauce. In a deep bottom pan, heat oil over medium heat, add whole spices and cook for 2 minutes. Add onion and cook till light brown. Add ginger and garlic, and cook for 3-4 mins until it turns light brown. Add all ground spices except garam masala, and cook for 2-3 mins till you feel aroma from the spices. Add fresh tomato puree and cook till tomato is well cooked. Tip: When oil starts to come on the surface, gravy will look smooth and shiny and it means your sauce is ready. Remove sauce from the heat and keep aside.
Step 3: Cook Marinated Chicken in the preheat oven at 350 degrees for 8 mins or cook on grill till you get nice grill mark on it.
Step 4: Combine Chicken and Sauce. Place sauce on heat, add chicken and cream and salt to taste, then cook for 5 mins or till chicken is tender. Sprinkle chopped cilantro and garam masala on top and stir gently with spoon.
Step 5: Serve hot with basmati rice, roti (Indian bread), mango chutney, papadom, and raita.
Good to note: You can use same sauce to make a vegetarian dish, add mushrooms, green peas and potatoes, chickpeas or any other vegatables you like. Reducing tomato in the sauce by half, you can use the same sauce to make lamb or beef dish.
How to make Raita? Mix plain yogurt and fine dices of cucumber, tomato, onion, chopped cilantro, roasted cumin seed powder, lemon juice and salt.
How to make Mango Chutney? Take caramelized 100 grams of sugar and add one cup fresh roughly chopped mango, 4 green cardamoms, and 3 bay leaves, 6 whole peppercorn, 5 ml white vinegar and cook til the mango is soft and shiny consistency. Add pinch of salt and cool it down and SERVE!